HollowayTop

Pecos Pueblo, (Cicuique) Church and Convento, Pecos National Historic Park, Rowe, New Mexico

Ancient trading center between the Pueblos and the Plains tribes.

PecosMindeleff

The ruins of Pecos Pueblo mission church, Nuestra Senora de los Angeles de Porciuncula, presented in Adolphus Bandelier 1881 report, Historical Introduction to Studies Among the Sedentary Indians of New Mexico; Report on the Ruins of the Pueblo of Pecos
Papers Of The Archæological Institute Of America, American
Series, Vol. I

PECOSRUINS

Afternoon rainstorm at the ruins of the Franciscan Mission at Pecos Pueblo (built after the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 on top of ruins of an earlier Mission built before the Revolt).

  • Image
  • Image
    Computer model of entire Pueblo complex including Mission Church and Convento (upper left) looking southwest.
  • Image
    Computer model of entire Pueblo complex including Mission Church and Convento (upper left) looking southwest.
  • Image
    Computer model of original Pueblo complex looking southwest.
  • Image
    Computer model of original Pueblo complex looking north.
  • Image
    Computer model of original Pueblo complex looking east.
  • Image
    Computer model of entire Pueblo complex including Mission Church and Convento (foreground) looking north.
  • Image
    Eye level view of model photomontage looking north toward the Pueblo from the wall opening north of the Church.
Thumbnail panels:
Now Loading
The remains of this ancient Indian place lie atop a stoney ridge about 25 miles east of present-day Santa Fe. The Pecos river is an easy walk. Pecos was located strategically near Glorieta Pass in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains between the pre-historic Rio Grande Valley agricultural trade from the west and the Plains salt-buffalo trade from the east. The Pueblo was planned as a large quadrangle with a central plaza. Begun in the 1300s, the Pueblo was, by the 16th Century Spanish arrival, four or five stories high. Covered porches on the upper levels were intricately interconnected in a "skyway" pedestrian network. The plaza level cellar rooms were about 4.4 feet high with no doors directly onto the plaza level. In the late 1500's a second roomblock was constructed south of the quadrangle. The ridgetop community architecture of the South and North Pueblos is surrounded by a 6 foot high stone wall. Outside of this wall to the south is the first Franciscan Church and Convento completed in 1625. This great Native American place is layer upon layer of prehistory and history. The Pueblo was abandoned finally in the 20th Century, and the last families to survive, moved to Jemez Pueblo, their Towa-speaking relatives, and their descendants are there to this day. The best account of the Pecos story can be found in NEE HEMISH, the History of Jemez Pueblo, by Joe S. Sando, University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, 1982. Willa Cather, in DEATH COMES TO THE ARCHBISHOP, tells the Pecos Pueblo story in one of America's greatest novels. Data for the computer model is from Alfred V. Kidder's excavations between 1915 and 1929.
© 2009, Dennis R. Holloway Architect